Friday, April 2, 2010

3 Lessons I Learned From The Visita Iglesia

My beautiful wife and I spend a very special week together. It is our first holy week together as a married couple and we are both enjoying each others company. While other people are immersed in expensive vacations around the wonderful resorts across the Philippines, my wife and I chose to spend our holy week with both our families.




Being married really changes your life in many aspects, but I see it as a very good opportunity to learn to prioritize my family and friends who are close to me. Although my relationship with my wife lasted for nine straight years before we decided to get married, I was expecting all along that I will still discover "new" sides of her that I have not seen while we were dating.


Going back to the "opportunity to prioritize my family", last night my family and I (including my beautiful wife) did our regular Visita Iglesia for Holy Thursday. Since me and my wife are currently living in Bacolod city, I was a bit upset due to the heavy traffic and the hard to find parking slots in each church that we visited. I almost got so irritated that I wanted to turn the car around and just go back home but then suddenly I remembered something that I have learned from Bo Sanchez, "we have power over our thoughts". While we were at the third church I prayed with sincerity and ask God's forgiveness.


Slowly by talking to myself and evaluating the thoughts that entered my head I was able to appreciate the importance of doing the Visita Iglesia.

Which are:


1. Prayer is a continuous communication.


Even if you're driving the car, looking at the altar, waiting for the traffic to move, parking the car, and etcetera. Our reflection and conversation with God and His love for us has to be continuous or we will loose our focus on Him and slowly the devil will ensnare us to see the differences rather than to love.


2. Prioritize love over anything else.


During the time when I was getting irritated with the traffic and the crowded place, I almost forgot that I was with my family that I really love. I forgot the opportunity to bond with them through prayer and sharing fun conversations together. I needed to transfer my focus from the unimportant things (which was the hassles that almost got to my nerves) to my loving family that definitely knew how to pray and serve our Almighty Father.


3. Be thankful for the instances you are together.


At the end of our church visits I finally realized that having your family around is such a blessing compared to the other families that were not. Being focused on my family, I was amazed at how we were so blessed in the past few years and how we are still being blessed continuously.

I appreciated them more and thank God for the great loving family He gave me.


Holy Thursday is indeed holy since it gives us the opportunity to spend more time with our family and grow our love for each other.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment